The Hardin House, which was built in 1901, is located at 603 West 3rd Street. This house is part of the Center Township and Jamieson’s Addition. The Hardin Home incorporates both Free Classic and Queen Anne styles of architecture. This combination of design includes a large wrap around porch, tall front and rear gables, a brick chimney, an elegant foyer, and elite oak woodwork throughout the home. The Hardin House consists of a large attic and basement, two bathrooms, a living room, a dining room, a kitchen, and five bedrooms. This house has been home to many people throughout the ages.
Harley and Mary had three daughters and one son; Mrs. Oscar Barbe, Mrs. Maynard Mylin, Mrs. Clair Stafford, and Carl Hardin. In 1910 they moved to 603 West 3rd Street where they lived for next 60 years. Hardin was an esteemed lawyer, and in 1930 he was elected as the Grant County Prosecutor. He also was a member of the Indiana State Legislature in 1943, ‘45, and ‘47. Harley Hardin lived at 603 West 3rd Street until he died in 1958 at eighty-one years of age. The Hardin family established this home through their poise, wisdom, and influence.
For two years (from 1925-1927) the Grahams and Paynes rented a rear apartment from Harley Hardin. Due to renovations it is difficult to know exactly where this apartment was located. Glenn Graham worked at the Chronicle Tribune and was married to Hasel. The Grahams shared the rented space with the Paynes. Frank Payne was a pattern maker, and he was married to Minnie.
Carl and Esther Hardin rented the rear apartment after the Grahams and Paynes. Carl H. was Harley Hardin’s son and last child. Carl lived in the Hardin House all of his life and after marriage decided to rent the apartment from his father. Mr. Carl Hardin worked as a clerk; and his wife, Esther, taught at Horace Mann School. Carl and Esther lived at 603 West 3rd Street until 1942. They too shared many special memories in this home.
Present Owners, the Allisons
The Hardin Home has been a welcoming setting for families throughout the decades. Its elaborate architecture and distinguished identity gives this house an unforgettable legacy. Harley Hardin was an esteemed lawyer who made this house an envied historic site. The Hardins, Paynes, Grahams, Lefavours, and Allisons have spent unforgettable times of joy, sorrow, and excitement at 603 West 3rd Street. The significance of this home not only comes from the structural design, but also the families who settled in it. A variety of people have lived in this house--lawyers, clerks, pattern makers, journalists, and teachers. This home is filled with clues that help rediscover Marion’s heritage.
- Grant County Interim Report 1993. Indiana Historic Sites and Structure Inventory, Indiana. March 1993. 44.
- Marion City Directory 1925, Indiana. 1925. 121.
- Marion City Directory 1927, Indiana. 1927. 103.
- Marion, Indiana City Directory Including Grant County. 191 1-1912. Indiana. 1911. 78.
- Polk’s Marion City Directory 1942. R.L. Polk and Company, Publishers, Indiana. 1911
- “Veteran Marion Attorney Dies After Long Illness.” Chronicle Tribune. 8 June 1958, late ed. :A1 & A4.
- Walters, Jay. “Assessor.” Grant County Government. Indiana. 2004. www.assesor.grant.in.uninquire.us/
This article was written by Julia Leslie and submitted on May 15, 2005 for Mr. Munn’s AP US History class.