U.S. Glove Company
HistoryThe Marion Fire Map of 1905
H.C. Clayton, the manager of U.S. Glove Company, emphasized the abounding opportunities for women in the factory. Wanted signs ran in the paper (See Appendix G) and the owners spoke of pleasant working conditions in the factory, an uncommon thing of the time (Wanted). In fact, of the 325 people employed by U.S. Glove, ninety-five percent were female (Glove Making Provides, See Appendix H). The U.S. Glove Company then moved in 1916 to the location shown by the 1920 Fire Map at 10th and Boots Streets by the Pennsylvania Railroad (Fire Map 1920, See Appendix B). This factory is a unit of eleven factories bearing the same name at the time. Altogether, these factories employed 3,000 people. Five of the factories were in Indiana and the other six were located in Ohio (Glove Making Provides). Mr. Smaltz moved to Marion in 1908 and founded the U.S. Glove Company. Frank Smaltz and his son, Hugh Smaltz, secretary of Twin Seam Leather Palm Work Gloves from 1921 to 1923 (U.S Marion City Directory), left the local factory to start their own in Montpelier called Smaltz Glove Company (Frank Smaltz Rites Planned, See Appendix I) in 1927 (Smaltz Marion City Directory, See Appendix J).
Though the factory changed names and hands over the years, from U.S. Glove from 1911 to 1931 to the Indianapolis Glove Company Branch from 1935 to 1955 (U.S. Marion City Directory, See Appendix E), this building produced a plethora of quality work gloves and mittens for men, women, and children (See Appendix K). The appeal for these kinds of gloves was at a premium since construction and factory jobs were at a peak. “We make working gloves exclusively. However, these gloves are not only made for men, but also for women and children and we also make mittens for women and children. Our specialties are Canton flannel gloves, jersey cloth, leather palm, and combination work gloves, and mittens. We make 727 different styles of gloves, and our research department is constantly engaged in making new styles which are introduced every few days,” stated Mr. H.C. Clayton, Jr., (Glove Making Provides) manager of the U.S. Glove Company at its start (U.S Marion City Directory). Of the women working at the factory, Clayton mentioned, “We train them to make gloves ourselves, and it is entirely up to the individual how much money she makes, since skill, speed, and how long she works are important factors.” (Glove Making Provides) The factory produced at a minimum one million two hundred thousand pairs of work gloves per week. These gloves were then sold through jobbers, wholesale trade, and through salesmen via catalogue books (See Appendix L). The variety of gloves, superior workmanship of the gloves, and quantity made them a highly demanded commodity all around. Other glove factories existed in the area, but none could compete with the U.S. Glove Company.
Current TimesThough the glove factory building no longer stands (See Gallery Below), its impact on the city of Marion remains. Prominently displayed by the West entrance of the Marion Public Library is the sign that once hung over the entrance to the U.S. Glove factory.
- “Marion Factory to Open Shortly.” Marion Chronicle Tribune 31 Jan. 1934, sec. Business: 1.